Kasten Can Deny a Sale. He Cannot Deny the Smoke.

Kasten Can Deny a Sale. He Cannot Deny the Smoke.

Dodgers president Stan Kasten insists the club is not for sale amid Mark Walter’s probe. The denials hold for now. The portfolio pressure and a Dodgers-linked loan still

Stan Kasten stood at Dodger Stadium on Friday and stacked the denials like a closer working a clean ninth. “The Dodgers are not being sold,” he said. “They’re not gonna be sold. They’re not for sale. There’s no process that has been started to sell it, period. We are planning only to win.”

I believe the first half of that sentence more than the last. Not because I suddenly trust billionaire ownership to whisper sweet nothings to the press. Because the Dodgers, under Mark Walter, have become the one asset in his sprawling portfolio that still prints championships and prestige at the same time. Selling that would be the sports-business equivalent of cashing out the house while the kitchen is still open and full.

Walter just flipped controlling interest in the Lakers to Bob Iger and Josh Kushner at a $12.5 billion valuation after buying in around $10 billion a year earlier. That deal came together in a blur. Kasten wants everyone to treat it as a one-off. He even reached for the lawyer Latin: “The Lakers thing was what we lawyers call sui generis.” One of a kind. Isolated. Nothing to see over here in Chavez Ravine.

I get why he said it. I also get why the room did not fully buy it.

The Loan Is Small. The Pattern Is Not.

The federal probe hanging over Walter is not a Dodgers scandal. Kasten was careful on that point, insisting “nothing involving the Dodgers is part of the investigation.” The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York and the SEC are digging into whether insurance companies under his umbrella improperly reported billions in related-party investments. Delaware Life’s affiliated exposure got restated into the high teens of billions. TWG Global has moved to buy back as much as $6.5 billion of those assets. No charges. Cooperation claimed. Still an enormous cloud.

Then there is the $4.1 million loan from one of those insurers to Dodger Tickets LLC, a subsidiary tied to team operations. Kasten’s name was on the filing as CEO of that entity. The loan is nearly paid off. On paper it is a rounding error next to a franchise that just carried more than half a billion dollars in payroll and luxury-tax freight into 2026 alone.

But that is exactly why it stings. You do not need the Dodgers to be the target of the probe for the ownership story to leak into the baseball building. You just need enough smoke that every winter decision starts getting filtered through “how liquid is Walter right now?” Reports that he and Todd Boehly have looked at offloading Chelsea shares, plus chatter about an early cash-out on the Dodgers’ Charter TV arrangement, did not help. Kasten waved those off as “mischaracterized” and said “those things don’t go together for a bunch of reasons I’m not going to get into today.” When the president of the club starts declining to get into the reasons, the rest of us start writing our own.

I have watched this franchise climb out of the Frank McCourt wreckage since the Guggenheim group paid $2.15 billion in 2012. Walter’s group turned it into a juggernaut. Back-to-back titles. A roster built to keep winning. That history is why I do not think a for-sale sign goes up next month. It is also why the nervous energy around the ownership suite matters more than the official denial.

Half a Billion Does Not Freeze Itself

Kasten’s best line was the simplest: “The Dodgers stand on their own pretty well.” He is right about the balance sheet of the baseball operation. A projected $517.7 million committed for 2026 is not the posture of a team preparing for an ownership fire drill. Shohei Ohtani’s deal has a key-man clause tied to Walter and Andrew Friedman, and the reporting so far says Ohtani would be unlikely to bolt even in a hypothetical sale. The product on the field is not blinking.

Patrick Soon-Shiong, who chased this team once before, already had a representative float interest in leading a group if Walter ever decided to sell. Of course he did. Industry chatter has put a healthy Dodgers valuation somewhere in the $10 billion to $13 billion range. That is real money even by Walter’s standards. The second someone credible says the words “process,” the bids will not be shy.

Here is where I land, and I am staking it out clean. The Dodgers are not for sale in August 2026. Kasten was not freelancing when he said his trust in Walter is “very, very high” and that the club is “very stable, well-managed and (have) very solid ownership.” Walter told him to say it, and the on-field machine gives him cover.

What I refuse to do is pretend the Lakers sale, the insurance restatements, the Chelsea noise, and a loan into a Dodgers subsidiary exist on separate planets. Kasten called some of the coverage “silly.” Fair. Connecting every wire into an imminent Dodgers auction is lazy. Pretending none of the wires touch is just as lazy. The risk is not a press conference next week announcing a sale. The risk is a quieter one: whether the checkbook that built this monster stays fully open when the next star hits free agency and the ownership headlines are still screaming.

Walter sold the Lakers fast and rich. He kept the Dodgers. That tells me which trophy he still wants on the mantel. It does not tell me the mantel is permanent. Kasten can keep saying this is only a Lakers story. I will keep watching the subsidiary filings and the winter meetings budget the same way I watch a bullpen that keeps claiming it is fine.

The Dodgers are planning only to win. I believe that part. I just stopped believing that the rest of the portfolio gets to stay invisible while they do it.

Share this article